Investment in Irish hotels will continue at record levels in 2006 with 54 new hotels due to come on stream. It means more short break opportunity for home holiday makers.
While consumers have been getting better value for money from our hotels, hoteliers have been complaining about low yields.
Existing hotels are also investing in upgrades. In 2005 two-thirds of hotels and almost one in two guesthouses and B&Bs invested in infrastructural development in 2005. Three out of four business invested in marketing activities.
Occupancy levels in Irish hotels were up to 64pc but that the international average was 70pc Shaun Quinn, chief executive of Fáilte Ireland has said.
Failte Ireland reported that self-catering accommodation and B&Bs have been particularly hard hit, with occupancy rates still below 50pc. This is in contrast to the improved occupancy rates in hotels, guesthouses and hostels.
According to Shawn Quinn, B&Bs are a vital part of the Irish tourism package and are an essential part of our attraction to overseas visitors.
“Given the enormous increase in accommodation capacity in recent years, it is positive that occupancy rates improved across all sectors to 64pc in hotels, 60pc in guesthouses and 67pc in hostels.
Tax incentives for hotel development were ended under the 2006 budget which will slow down hotel development from 2007 on.
- CAVAN Radisson SAS Farnham Estate, Cavan Town Tel. 158 bedrooms Opening May 2006 Classification 4 star.
- CORK Jury’s Doyle Western Road Cork 182 bedrooms Opening Autumn 06 Classification 4 star
- Ramada Skibbereen Licknavar, Skibbereen 107 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- New Hotel Licknavar, Skibbereen 100 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- Harbour Lodge Kinsale 112 bedrooms Opening 2007 Classification 3 star
- New Hotel Rathmore, Kinsale 68 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- Atlantic Manor House Garrettstown 20 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- Ramada Bantry Bantry 65 bedrooms Opening mid 2007 Classification 4 star
- DONEGAL New Hotel Carrick Village 52 bedrooms Opening July likely to be delayed classification 3 star
- Ballyboe Hotel (The Waters Edge Rest) Rathmullan 10 bedrooms Opening March Classification 3 star
- The Villa Rose Hotel Stranolar 074 91 25968 41 bedrooms Opening May Classification 3 star
- NewHotel Muff, Culdess Summer 2006 classification 3 star
- NewHotel Pettigoe 15 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- NewHotel Rossreagh, Ramelton 104 bedrooms classification 3 star Likely to open 2007. Classification 3 star
- NewHotel Portnablagh 62 bedrooms Likely to open 2007. Classification 3 star
- Tramore House Downings 10 bedrooms Likely to open 2007. Classification 3 star
- NewHotel Drumlonagher 120 bedrooms Likely to open 2007. Classification 3 star
- NewHotel Magheramagorgan, Carrigart 074 9121003 100 bedrooms classification 3 star
- DUBLIN Radisson Corner of Chancery/Golden Lane 160 bedrooms Opening Autumn classification 5 star
- Spawell Templeogue, D16 01 4987000 150 bedrooms Late 2007 Classification 3 star
- Days Hotel Park West Park West Business 148 bedrooms. Opening Sept
- NewHotel Talbot Street 01 6790755 58 bedrooms
- Days Hotel Santry Cross 01 6391229 88 bedrooms. Opening March classification 3 star
- Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport Santry Demesne 01 8628888 110 bedrooms Opening July classification 3 star
- Lord Iveagh Francis Street, Dublin 8 01 6717281 90 bedrooms Opening summer classification 3 star PP in order.
- NewHotel Charlestown, St Margarets Road 250 bedrooms Mid 2007 classification 4 star
- Glasthule Dun Laoghaire 20 bedrooms. Classification 3 star
- NewHotel (Park Hyatt) Hanover Quay, Pearse Street 180 bedrooms Opening summer. Classification 3 star
- Sandyford Spa & Resorts Behind Lamb Doyles 225 bedrooms Opening late 2007. Classification 4 star
- Bewley’s Dublin Road, Malahide Road 470 bedrooms. Opening summer Classification 3 star
- Carlton Hotel , Dublin Airport 100 bedrooms Opening April. classification 4 star
- NewHotel Courtlough, Balbriggan 100 bedrooms. Opening late 2007 classification 3 star
- Le Meridien Longboat Quay 179 bedrooms Opening late 2007 classification 5 star
- Dylan Hotel (formerly Hibernian) Eastmoreland Place 8 50 bedrooms Opening July classification 5 star
- Mount Hybla House Hotel Castleknock 20 bedrooms. Opening late 2006. Classification 4 star
- Clarion (formerly Holiday Inn) Dublin Airport 200 bedrooms. Opening late 2008 Classification 3 star
- Hotel Park West, Nangor Road 146 bedrooms Opening July. Classification 3 star
- GALWAY ‘G’ Hotel Wellpark Estate 96 bedrooms Classification 5 star
- Park Inn Ballinasloe 70 bedrooms Opening late 2007 classification 4 star
- New Hotel Sean Mulroy Road, Bohermore 47 bedrooms Opening late 2007
- KERRY Ballybunion Beach Castle Hotel Ozone Terrace, Ballybunion 107 bedrooms Opening late 2006 classification 3 star
- KILDARE Luttrellstown Castle Leixlip 100 bedrooms Late 2007 Classification 4 star
- Carton House (Clarion Group) Maynooth 145 bedrooms Opening May classification 4 star
- New Hotel Westgrove, Abbeylands, Clane 113 bedrooms Opening March classification 3 star
- KILKENNY Ramada Encore Urlingford Urlingford Contact Michael Knox Johnston Tel. 023-22400 78 Bedrooms Opening February Classification 3 star.
- Days Hotel Kilkenny Retail Park 80 Bedrooms Opening July classification 3 star
- Paris Texas High Street, Kilkenny 37 bedrooms Opening Late 2006 classification 3 star
- LAOIS Ramada Encore Mountrath Mountrath 91 Bedrooms Opening July Classification 3 star
- Heritage @ Killenard Killenard, Portarlington Contact Eoin O’Sullivan Tel. 0502-45052 97 bedrooms Opening June 2005 Classification 3 star
- LEITRIM Chapel Lane Ballinamore 12 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- Dromod Golf Hotel Dromod 60 bedrooms Opening Sept Classification 3 star
- LONGFORD New Hotel Edgeworthstown 72 bedrooms Opening 2007 classification 3 star
- MAYO New Hotel Rathnaconenn, Ballina 69 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- Day’s Hotel Castlebar 60 bedrooms Opening Oct classification 3 star
- Mount Falcon Drumrevagh, Ballina 32 bedrooms Opening summer classification 5 star
- Rathredmond House Ballinrobe Derek Conneely 091 795690 36 bedrooms delayed to 2007 Classification 3 star
- Breaffy House Lodge (Lynch Hotel) Castlebar Noel Conlan 094 9022033 40 bedrooms Opening Sept Classification 3 star
- The Ice House Thalassotherapy & Spa The Quay, Ballina 24 bedrooms Opening Dec Classification 4 star
- New Hotel ‘Murrisk’ Murrisk Demesne, Westport 80 bedrooms Opening Dec Classification 4 star
- MEATH Knight Brook Hotel Effernock, Trim 120 bedrooms Opening July classification 4 star
- Hotel Kilcairn 100 bedrooms Opening late 06 classification 4 star
- New Hotel Eastham Road, Bettystown 82 bedrooms Classification 4 star
- New Hotel Rath, Ashbourne 145 Opening June Classification 4 star
- Ramada Trim 68 bedrooms Opening May classification 4 star
- Dunboyne Castle Hotel & Spa Dunboyne 145 bedrooms Apr-06 classification 4 star
- New Hotel Balrathbury, Navan 129 bedrooms Opening mid 2007 Will start early 2006 Classification 4 star
- ROSCOMMON New Hotel Frenchpark Demesne 26 bedrooms Classification 3 star
- SLIGO New Hotel, Scurmore, Enniscrone 80 bedrooms Opening April Classification 3 star
- TIPPERARY New Hotel Bridge Street, Cahir 72 bedrooms opening late 2006 classification 3 star
- Ramada Clonmel 123 bedrooms Opening Nov classification 4 star
- WESTMEATH Harry’s Main Street, Kinnegad 46 bedrooms Opening March classification 4 star
- WICKLOW New Hotel Newtownmountkennedy 180 bedrooms.
- Ritz Hotel Powerscourt 203 bedrooms Opening December
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Brittany Ferries deploys extra MV Connemara rotations for Cork-Roscoff Pont Aven bookings - May 29, 2019
- Ryanair April figures up 10pc to record 13.5, rolling annual now 142.3m - May 2, 2019
- Visitors from Britain in March down 5.49p on pre Brexit levels - April 25, 2019
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: Norwegian drop Cork and Shannon trans-Atlantic amid B737 Max meltdown - April 21, 2019
- Limerick positions itself as a gateway to Wild Atlantic Way as it pushes for 1.1m visitors - April 16, 2019