- I want to to be the oldest man in space
- Jon McBride vows to break John Glenn’s record of 77 years old
Third generation Donegal Astronaut Jon McBride told invited travel trade and media at an event in Dublin promoting the Kennedy Space Centre that he wants to be the oldest guy to go into space, beating John Glenn’s record at the age of 77.
He said a good strong science programme leads to a strong economic position. The most, profitable technological ventures and successful educational standards were the highest they have ever been in the 1960s and 1970s when we were building the Apollo programme.It cost a lot of money but it generated a lot of money.
More importantly for travel and tourism it was McBride who persuaded the Kennedy Space Centre to use astronauts fr their tours of the visitor centre. “It took me two years to persuade them,” he says. They tried it for a week, and now we have 40 astronauts on a roster. We have tours twice daily and a dine with an astronaut programme.” Jon draws up the roster.
The next challenge is Mars
is there life on other planets? I am pretty sure there is.
Looking down on earth strengthened my faith
I never met Yuri Gagarin, I have met Alan Shepard
Memories of the Gemini programme
Ireland always has been in my blood
Memories of the Mercury seven
The dream of the Apollo mission, a crew of three launched into space
JFK’s ‘go to the moon’ challenge of 1961 showed a vision that has never been matched since.
Naval flying is the most exacting kind of flying
Memories of applying to become an astronaut & astronauts he has known
Memories of the Space Shuttle chase team
How the Challenger programme evolved from four to seven member crews
Training for space on the Vomit Comet
Training for space in the diving tank
Memories of first space flight to launch at night
Want to lose two and a half gallons of body fluid? Go into space
Memories of the View from Space, including Ireland
Shuttle landings Florida v California
Encountering gravity on your return from space
Admiration for the Chinese space programme
Lessons in sustainability from Space
The complications facing travel to Mars
Jon McBride: the full talk
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Brittany Ferries deploys extra MV Connemara rotations for Cork-Roscoff Pont Aven bookings - May 29, 2019
- Ryanair April figures up 10pc to record 13.5, rolling annual now 142.3m - May 2, 2019
- Visitors from Britain in March down 5.49p on pre Brexit levels - April 25, 2019
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: Norwegian drop Cork and Shannon trans-Atlantic amid B737 Max meltdown - April 21, 2019
- Limerick positions itself as a gateway to Wild Atlantic Way as it pushes for 1.1m visitors - April 16, 2019