Don’t ask anyone who went to boarding school there about the food in their time, but Ballyfin Demesne in Co Laois has been named as the best hotel in the world by 30,000 readers of Condé Nast Traveler travel magazine.
Three Irish hotels have been named in the world’s Top Ten in the magazine’s latest Readers’ Choice Survey: Ballyfin Demesne is number 1, Waterford Castle is number 7 and The Lodge at Ashford Castle in Co Mayo comes in at number 9.
More than 300,000 travelers took part in the 29th annual Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Survey – ranking the world’s best hotels, cities, islands, airlines, airports and cruises, to help the magazine create a list of winning favourites. Click here to read the magazine’s list of the world’s 50 best hotels.
Four Irish hotels were named among the top Resorts in Europe: Ashford Castle (No.5), Trump International Hotel & Golf Links in Doonbeg (20), Adare Manor (21) and Dromoland Castle (24).
Niall Gibbons, CEO of Tourism Ireland, said: “Congratulations to Ballyfin Demesne, Waterford Castle and The Lodge at Ashford Castle on this truly well-deserved recognition. Given the intense competition from other luxury properties around the globe, it’s really a wonderful achievement. This accolade by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine also helps to raise the profile of the island of Ireland Ireland in general and gives Tourism Ireland a wonderful hook to showcase our superb luxury tourism product, including our castles, luxury resorts and boutique hotels, our rich culture and heritage and, of course, our world-class golf.”
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair up 8pc in August, set to become Europe’s first 150m pa airline - September 3, 2019
- EL AL to fly Dublin to Tel Aviv 3w year round from May 26 - August 28, 2019
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019