- Overall winner Brussels
- Belfast City second in under 4m category
Brussels Airport won the Routes Europe marketing award in Bilbao, Basque Country.
- .Brussels Airport topped the ‘Over 20 Million Passengers’ category; Oslo Airport, was highly commended.
- Budapest Airport won the ‘4 to 20 Million Passengers’ category; Saint Petersburg Airport Pulkovo was highly commended.
- Billund Airport scooped the ‘Under 4 Million Passengers’ category. Belfast City Airport was highly commended.
- Canary Islands Tourist Board –Promotur was honoured in the ‘Destination’ category. Visit Finland were highly commended.
Brussels Airport operates in the most competitive region in Europe, with Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Paris-Charles De Gaulle and Frankfurt Airport easily accessible by high-speed rail networks and motorways. Despite this, overall passenger traffic grew by more than 14% in 2017, with Cathay Pacific, WOW Air and Georgian Airways joining the 66 passenger airlines that currently serve the hub.
Brussels Airport adopts a ‘have seats’ (route development), ‘will travel’ (market development) strategy to support their airline partners in delivering profitable and sustainable routes. Marketing partnerships with regional tourism boards, as well as a new destination and passenger growth incentive scheme, have helped to deliver twenty new cities, including Mumbai, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Shenzhen, to the airport’s rapidly expanding route network over the past twelve months.
In the recently published ‘Brussels Airport Vision 2040’, a number of impressive infrastructure projects were highlighted that will enable the airport to exceed the 40 million passenger mark by 2040.
Brussels Airport will be automatically shortlisted for the World Routes Marketing Awards in Guangzhou on September 17 2018.