Pat Byrne and Cathal O’ Connell took delivery of CityJet‘s first Superjet SSJ100 at a ceremony in Venice. CityJet will lease 15 Superjet SSJ100 aircraft with an option for an additional 16.
Aer Lingus have put back (second time) the relaunch of their Frequent Flyer Programme. The change over from the Gold Circle Club to the new AerClub has now been differed till the end of 2016.
Ryanair turned in their best margin since 2005 and a record profit of €1,242m, up 43pc. Average fare was down marginally to €46 Passenger numbers up 18pc to 106m Load factor was up 5 points to 93pc. Unit costs were down 6pc (ex-fuel was down 2pc) See here for Travel Extra analysis of Ryanair’s stunning financial result. Joe Gill of Goodbody stockbrokers, the analyst seen as so close to Ryanair management that he occasionally serves as a spokesman for the airline, described the transition of the airline as something far more profound than moving from nasty to nice.
Aer Lingus announced six extra autumn flights a week and 13,000 aditional seats to Malaga and the Canaries. Lanzarote goes daily from 5w, Las Palmas Gran Canaria grows to 5w from 4w, Tenerife grows to 6w from 5w and Malaga grows to 19w from 17w. Picture shows Kathryn McDonnell of the Spanish Tourist Board and John Keogh of Aer Lingus Aer Lingus CEO Stephen Kavanagh said he expects to upgrade Los Angeles to daily from 4w and upgrade San Francisco is an A330-300.
- Swords-based ASL Aviation acquired TNT Airways (Belgium) and Pan Air Líneas Aéreas (Spain). The airlines will be renamed ASL Airlines Belgium and ASL Airlines Spain. The addition of 35 aircraft brings the ASL fleet to 130 cargo and passenger aircraft. ASL now have 2,500 staff from 51 nationalities
- The management of Oslo-Rygge decided to close the airport from November should Ryanair pull out as they have threatened to do in November.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders were lobbied by opponents to the Norwegian Air International Cork and Shannon startup to Boston, still waiting approval. See Noregina’s video here.
- Dublin Airport recorded 2.2m passengers in April up 10pc increase on April 2015, which included Easter.. Britain was up 11pc to 812,000, transatlantic up 19pc tp 196,000, international routes 5down 6pc to 8,000 due to reduction in Etihad capacity and domestivc up 16pc to a negligible 7,500,.
- Aer Rianta International net profit grew 19pc to €22m in 2015,
- Jet2.com and Jet2holidaysadded 58 more flights to fantastic destinations from Belfast to Alicante, Faro, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Palma and Tenerife for winter 2016-7.
- British Airways launchesd a new flight from heathrow to Santiago de Chile.
- A man was arrested for breaching security at Shannon Airport.
- Aireon LLC completed a service delivery point Factory Acceptance Test with the Irish Aviation Authority, a step towards deploying space-based ADS-B in Irish airspace
- Virgin Australia’s new premium economy product Listen here..
- Just hours after the crash of EgyptAir crash in the Mediterranean, a Delta Air Lines charter flight from Frankfurt to Kuwait came close to a potential disaster in the same area when it was intercepted by fighter jets.
- Transport officials hinted at expanding US pre-clearance at Irish airports.
- Aer Lingus marked its 80th birthday by flying a six-seater De Havilland 84 Dragon to Bristol.
Turkish Airlines launched its ‘Meet Europe’s Best’ marketing campaign as part of its Euros 2016 promotion. Watch here to promo video.
- The Irish Aviation Authority completed its first service test by Aireon in its bid to operate Aireon’s ALERT emergency tracking equipment.
- Shannon Airport expects to official reopen its lounge and European departure gates next month.
- Avolon delivered an A320-200 to VietJet.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Brittany Ferries deploys extra MV Connemara rotations for Cork-Roscoff Pont Aven bookings - May 29, 2019
- Ryanair April figures up 10pc to record 13.5, rolling annual now 142.3m - May 2, 2019
- Visitors from Britain in March down 5.49p on pre Brexit levels - April 25, 2019
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: Norwegian drop Cork and Shannon trans-Atlantic amid B737 Max meltdown - April 21, 2019
- Limerick positions itself as a gateway to Wild Atlantic Way as it pushes for 1.1m visitors - April 16, 2019