The DAA has hosted an event to interest long-term jobseekers in working on its flagship North Runway project.
It held the ‘Meet the Contractor’ event in partnership with Empower, the Fingal-based community development company, and the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.
The event is part of Empower’s One Step Closer programme, which trains long-term jobseekers in skills where there are employment opportunities such as the construction of the runway.
DAA North Runway Senior Project Manager David Frizell said: ”The delivery of North Runway is a critical piece of national infrastructure which will bring huge economic benefits for Fingal and for Ireland. We have recently appointed Irish-Spanish consortium Roadbridge and FCC Construcción to design and build North Runway.The project will support in the region of 300 jobs during its development.
“Roadbridge FCC Construcción have requirements for positions in three key areas of the project – construction and general operatives, catering and cleaning and security. As well as supporting jobs onsite, the project will generate significant employment opportunities in the local supply chain for construction materials.”
Empower Chief Executive Adeline O’Brien said the event enabled the unemployed to meet the Roadbridge FCC representatives as well as local services that support their transition into the workplace. “The One Step Closer programme isn’t just about filling jobs, it also addresses societal barriers participants may be experiencing. We want to increase resilience in our local community and build confidence and self-belief, so that those in long-term unemployment will have the confidence to make a positive change in their lives.”
Mobilisation and preparatory site works for North Runway are underway and groundworks will start in the New Year. Construction of the new runway is due to be completed in early 2021 and commissioning will then take place.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Brittany Ferries deploys extra MV Connemara rotations for Cork-Roscoff Pont Aven bookings - May 29, 2019
- Ryanair April figures up 10pc to record 13.5, rolling annual now 142.3m - May 2, 2019
- Visitors from Britain in March down 5.49p on pre Brexit levels - April 25, 2019
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: Norwegian drop Cork and Shannon trans-Atlantic amid B737 Max meltdown - April 21, 2019
- Limerick positions itself as a gateway to Wild Atlantic Way as it pushes for 1.1m visitors - April 16, 2019