Research by DCU economist Tony Foley (that was funded by the drinks industry) suggested the combined drinks and hospitality sector supports 204,000 jobs across Ireland. See here. He enumerate 7,193 pubs in Ireland.
- Dalata went back on the acquisition trail paying €22m per acre for one Dublin development site and €8m for another city centre hotel site.
- Kimpton opened two new properties in Washington DC and Winston-Salem and plans two more in 2017 for Charlotte, North Carolina. See here.
- Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel is searching for Ireland’s best young garden designer, aged 14 and under, to create a flowerbed themed around their 40 years in business and N Ireland’s Year of Food and Drink. Email before June 30.
- Isola Beach Club at Blue Palace Resort and Spa in Crete opens in July 2016.
- A Trivago.ie survey showed prices in Lille for Ireland vs Italy averaged €559 and fans can save 300pc by staying in Kortrijk in Belgium rather than Lille.
- Hastings Hotels launched a Summer Spa Experience at the Slieve Donard in Newcastle, Co Down.
- Jet2 holidays rolled out a resort check-in service.
- Dublin footballers Alan and Bernard Brogan, along with their father Bernard Brogan Snr, reportedly paid €8m for the Pillo Hotel in Ashbourne.
- Accor Hotels said it hopes to double its presence in India by 2020.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Club Travel to take over Atlas Travel - December 3, 2019
- Ryanair passengers up 6pc to record 11m in November - December 3, 2019
- WATCH: Highlights from 2019 ITAA Conference in Cordoba - October 19, 2019
- Newcomer Aimsir in Kildare wins two Michelin Stars - October 7, 2019
- Ryanair annual passenger numbers pass 150m for first time - October 2, 2019