Kelly’s Resort Hotel in Rosslare was supreme Winner and Ireland’s Family Friendly Hotel at the Hotel and Catering Review Gold Medal Awards. Ashford Castle won Ireland’s Guest Experience as well as the award for Ireland’s Five Star Hotel
More than 450 members of the hospitality industry were at the awards, in association with Hotel & Catering Review, which took place at a black-tie awards ceremony in the Lyrath Estate Hotel in Kilkenny and were hosted by TV3’s Martin King.
The Malton Killarney was named Ireland’s best Four Star Hotel, while the Blue Haven Hotel in Kinsale, Co Cork, was honoured for best hotel breakfast.
A new category, Ireland’s Executive Chef of the Year was given to Ken Harker of Mount Juliet Estate, Co Kilkenny, while the award for Ireland’s Rising Star Chef, another new category, was awarded to Niamh Barry of the Bay Tree Bistro in Co Waterford. The award for Ireland’s Chef of the Year went to Jess Murphy, Kai Restaurant, Co. Galway.
The Outstanding Service Award, chosen by the Gold Medal Award’s judging panel recognises and honours an individual’s outstanding contribution to the hospitality industry over a significant period of time and the honour this year was presented to Aidan Moynihan of Hotel Killarney.
Castle Leslie Estate in Co Monaghan won the People’s Choice Award for Ireland’s Favourite Place to Stay, voted by the Irish Independent readers .
- Supreme Winner : Kelly’s Resort Hote,l Co Wexford
- Outstanding Service Award : Aidan Moynihan, Hotel Killarney, Co Kerry
- Favourite Place to Stay (Public Vote) : Castle Leslie Estate Co Monaghan
- Five Star Hotel Ashford Castle, Co Mayo
- Five Star Boutique Hotel Ballyfin Demesne Co Laois
- Four Star Hotel The Malton Killarney Co Kerry
- Four Star Resort The Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links Dublin 13
- Three Star Hotel Headfort Arms Hotel Co Meath
- Country House & Guest House Marlfield House Co Wexford
- Five Star Hotel Spa Experience Aghadoe Heights Hotel and Spa, Co Kerry
- Four Star Hotel Spa Experience Oceo Spa, Seafield Co Wexford
- Hotel Breakfast Blue Haven Hotel Co Cork
- Family Friendly Hotel Kelly’s Resort Hotel Co Wexford
- City Hotel The Montenotte Hotel Co Cork
- Business Hotel Absolute Hotel Limerick Co Limerick
- Wedding Hotel Garryvoe Hotel Co Cork
- Best Hotel Website Wyatthotelcom The Wyatt Hotel, Co Mayo
- Event Caterer John Coughlan Catering
- Contract Caterer Brook Food Services Co Cork
- Healthcare Caterer National Maternity Hospital Holles Street, Dublin 2
- Fine Dining Restaurant Pullman Restaurant Glenlo Abbey Hotel, Co Galway Casual Dining Experience The Draft House Co Sligo
- Wild Atlantic Way Restaurant The Tavern Co Mayo
- Newcomer Restaurant Wild and Native Seafood Restaurant Co Wexford
- Wine Experience The Twelve Hotel Co Galway
- Guest Experience Ashford Castle Co Mayo
- Front of House Team Member Deirdre Ryan Senior Chef, Marymount University Hospital & Hospice, Co Cork
- Chef of the Year Jess Murphy Kai Restaurant, Co Galway
- Executive Chef of the Year Ken Harker Mount Juliet Estate, Co Kilkenny
- Rising Star Chef of the Year Niamh Barry The Bay Tree Bistro, Co Waterford Menu Provenance Award Limerick Strand Hotel Co Limerick
- Innovative Supplier Avvio
Judge Sybil Mulcahy said: “The calibre of entries this year was incredible and we are delighted to see such a strong offering in our hospitality industry – it bodes extremely well for the tourism sector and for our economy as a whole.” Pictures from the night can be found here. The awards are in their 29th year and the details of winners can be found here.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Margaret Kilduff August finalist in Blue Insurance car competition - September 20, 2018
- CCPC clear €70m Blue Insurances deal - September 19, 2018
- Dublin Airport Update - September 19, 2018
- Travel quote of the day from an Irish writer - September 19, 2018
- Travel quote of the day from an Irish writer - September 18, 2018