Almost 10,000 cruise ship passengers visited Dublin over the bank holiday – with an estimated spend of €1m in teh capital.
On Sunday, August 5th, four cruise liners – Mirina, Pacific Princess, Silverwind and Mein Schiff 3 – docked in the city. Another three docked on Wednesday, August 8th bringing thousands more tourists into the city. The midweek saw the arrival of Royal Princess, Rotterdam and Viking Sky.
This year has been the busiest so far for cruise liners docking in Dublin Port and 36 are expected this month alone. It’s expected that over 150 ships will dock in Ireland over the course of 2018.
Dublin Port has estimated that 10,000 visitors equates to a spend of roughly €1m in the city by visiting passengers.
Passengers were welcomed by DublinTown Ambassadors, the only information providers allowed on cruise ships to provide visitors with maps, information and recommendations for places to shop, dine, socialise and visit during their time in the city.
The CEO of DublinTown, Richard Guiney, said: “Dublin is becoming a very popular destination for European Cruise Ships. DublinTown is delighted to be the first to welcome their guests into the city and offer recommendations on the many places to visit while they enjoy the city break.
“This week is a particularly busy one with seven docking within the space of a few days. Cruise ships offer a great opportunity for Dublin City businesses to showcase their products to tourists. We look forward to working with our partners in Dublin Port in welcoming many more cruise ships to our shores in the years to come and building this important aspect of the Irish tourist offering.”
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- TRAVEL Extra Sunday Supplement: Dublin aims for 6m transfer passengers as it sends 223 flights west each week - August 19, 2018
- Clickandgo gives you a run for your money as it’s named official Irish partner of Lanzarote Marathon - August 16, 2018
- Virtuoso awards hotel of the year to Adare Manor - August 16, 2018
- 18m passengers use Dublin Airport in first half of year as July breaks records - August 15, 2018
- Ed Sheeran and Dermot O’Leary to promote tourism to Ireland this autumn - August 14, 2018