Cork Airport Managing Director Niall MacCarthy saw off top local chefs as they renewed ties with Newport in Rhode Island – which is twinned with Kinsale. It was the first time that they’ve been able to travel direct from Cork to the US, and used Norwegian‘s direct flight to Boston Providence for the annual restaurant exchange.
Kinsale chefs from Actons Hotel, Trident Hotel, Jim Edwards, The Blue Haven Collection, The White House, Finn’s Table, Fishy Fishy, and The White Lady travelled to the States for the Newport Kinsale Chef Exchange.
Niall MacCarthy said: “This direct route from Cork to Boston Providence has proven to be a major success. We are delighted to see the route being utilised for its convenience, ease, connectivity and direct access from Cork to US destinations such as Newport in Rhode Island, along with Boston, Cape Cod, and Martha’s Vineyard.”
The Chairman of Kinsale Good Food Circle and current President of the Restaurant Association of Ireland, Liam Edwards, said: ‘’The purpose of the trip is to continue to strengthen the bond between Newport and Kinsale and to highlight the connectivity via Cork Airport and Providence Rhode Island.
“There has been a long-standing relationship between Kinsale and Newport and we aim to continue to develop that with the annual restaurant exchange.”
Each year, chefs from Newport, Rhode Island, come to Kinsale to take part in the Kinsale Gourmet Festival in October. In turn, Kinsale chefs travel to Newport to take part in the Newport Kinsale Chef Exchange. Each Irish restaurateur will be paired with a restaurant in Newport where they will serve Irish specialities.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Turkish delight for Dublin Airport as Ryanair launches Dalaman service - June 25, 2018
- TRAVEL Extra Sunday Supplement: Norwegian targets Toronto as it expands Irish Atlantic operation, June 24 - June 24, 2018
- ITAA joins Ryanair and IAG in condemning latest round of air traffic strikes - June 22, 2018
- Niall Burgess: Irish passport renewals for children to be online before end of the year - June 21, 2018
- Norwegian to fly Dublin Airport to Toronto Hamilton daily from next March - June 21, 2018