Transiting passengers at Dublin Airport might be forgiven for thinking the Irish are fond of a drop or two of the hard stuff. Following on from the virtual tour tie-in with the Walsh Whiskey Distillery plus the Guinness Export House, another tipple is being celebrated at The Loop.
The airport is launching its inaugural Spirit of Gin Festival on Tuesday, August 1, and it will showcase over 50 different gins, including many new Irish brands, through August and September.
Michelle Corbett, Head of Global Consumer Marketing,said: “We have invested heavily in our gin offering and it is now The Loop’s fastest growing category. Last year, sales of gin increased by a staggering 70pc, with Irish-produced gin growing by nearly 200pc.”
She added: “The Loop has been an advocate for Irish gins supporting a number of new Irish brands to enter the market in recent years launching exclusive brands such as Gunpower gin, produced in Leitrim, and Listoke 1777, which is made in Louth.”
Gin is the in drink in many pubs at the moment, and Irish consumers spent almost €83m on gin last year, an increase of 23pc compared with 2015. It’s so popular that Euromonitor International ranks Ireland among the world’s top ten gin-drinking nations.
The Loop has a team of 11 Gin Ambassadors working in-store to help customers choose the right gin and advise on mixes, blends and cocktails. “To continue offering our customers new and exclusive products we have expanded our gin range by 40pc in the last year,” said Corbett.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair targets next generation of travellers with launch of student programme - August 17, 2017
- Air Berlin insolvent, gets 3 months worth of loans as Ryanair complains to EU - August 15, 2017
- Dublin Airport’s July as big as ENTIRE year of 1986 with 3.2m flying - August 14, 2017
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: No one goes there anymore, it is too crowded - August 13, 2017
- Tourism Ireland pitches Ireland with friendly clash of Canadian rugby players and camogie girls - August 11, 2017