- Succeeds Andres Conesa, CEO of Aeromexico
- Third Irish chair after Jerry Dempsey in 1962 and Alan Joyce in 2012
- Will be succeeded by Goh Choon Phong CEO of Singapore Airlines
- Makes emissions a priority
Willie Walsh has been elected chair of IATA board of governors to succeed Andres Conesa, CEO of Aeromexico,
Willie is the 75th Chair of the IATA BoG and the sixth to fulfil that function and the third Irishman after Alan Joyce in 2012 and Jerry Dempsey in 1962 (see retrospective here).
The accession was automatic as he was elected vice president last year. In turn Goh Choon Phong CEO of Singapore Airlines will serve as chair-elect for a one-year term to take office from June 2017 following Walsh’s term.
Willie says his top priority is getting governments’ agreement on a global market-based measure to manage aviation’s carbon emissions at the 39th Assembly of the International Civil Aviation Organization later this year. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity which is vital if our industry is to achieve carbon-neutral growth from 2020. Too often government policies limit aviation’s ability to be a catalyst for economic growth and development. Excessive taxes rob our industry of its vitality while costly and ineffective infrastructure constrains our ability to support rising demand for connectivity. Regulation often comes with negative consequences for both passengers and airlines. I look forward to supporting Alexandre de Juniac as he takes the reins at IATA. Together we will ensure that IATA has an even stronger voice of leadership on these issues.
The 31 board members include the CEO of Jetblue, regarded as a low cost airline rather than a legacy carrier: Vitaly G Saveliev of Aeroflot, Andrés Conesa of Aeromexico, Calin Rovinescu of Air Canada, Alexandre De Juniac of Air France/KLM, Douglas Parker of American Airlines, Harry Hohmeister of Austrian Airlines, German Efromovich of Avianca, Chu Kwok (Ivan ) Leungn of Cathay Pacific, Liu Shaoyong of China Eastern Airlines, Tan Wangeng of China Southern Airlines, Safwat Musallam of Egyptair, James Hogan of Etihad Airways, Tewolde Gebremariam of Ethiopian Airlines, David Bronczek of Fedex Express, Mark Dunkerley of Hawaiian Airlines, Masaru Onishi of Japan Airlines, Naresh Goyal of Jet Airways (India) , Robin Hayes of Jetblue Airways, Mbuvi Ngunze of Kenya Airways, Pieter Elbers of KLM, Yang Ho Cho of Korean Air, Enrique Cueto of LAN Airlines, Carsten Spohr of Lufthansa, Alan Joyce of Qantas, Akbar Al Baker of Qatar Airways, Rickard Gustafson of SAS, Saleh Nasser Al Jasser of Saudi Arabian Airlines, Goh Choon Phong of Singapore Airlines, Temel Kotil of Turkish Airlines and Pham Ngoc Minh of Vietnam Airlines.
- See press statement here.
- Watch here Alxandre de Juniac’s speech to ATA on succeeding Tony Tyler as Director General.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Tourism Ireland CEO Niall Gibbons origin of icons going green for St Patrick’s Day - February 20, 2020
- WATCH: Update on Tourism Ireland from CEO Niall Gibbons - February 20, 2020
- WATCH: tourism minister Brendan Griffin - February 20, 2020
- WATCH Visit Derry roadshow @Fitzwilliam Hotel - February 20, 2020
- WATCH Amadeus host the trade@Peploe’s - February 20, 2020