Spanish carrier Iberia Express is to expand its Cork Airport to Madrid Barajas route by 5pc for Summer 2018. The move means that the service will operate twice weekly from June 1 to September 15, compared to June 2 to September 9 this year.
The announcement brings a second year of successive growth to the route that was launched in 2016. Iberia Express will operate the route on an Airbus A320 aircraft, with 180 seats.
Cork Airport’s Head of Aviation Marketing, Daragh Hanratty, said: “The expansion creates 11,680 seats between Cork and Madrid for 2018. This route continues to prove longevity from both an inbound and outbound perspective, with 300,000 Spanish passengers travelling to Ireland last year.”
He added: “This increase marks overall growth of 15pc on the Cork to Madrid service.” Passengers will be able to fly via Madrid to many of Iberia Group’s destinations in Spain plus long haul to Buenos Aires, Mexico City and Sao Paulo.
Iberia Express’ Chief Commercial Officer, Trevor Martin, said: “The growth of this route is testament to the popularity of Madrid as a destination for Irish customers, and to the popularity of Ireland for our Spanish customers. Iberia Express’ increase in the twice-weekly service will facilitate growth in both the inbound and outbound markets of Cork and the South of Ireland.”
Iberia Express’ announcement follows those made by Aer Lingus and Stobart Air, Volotea and Swiss for expansion and growth from Cork Airport for Summer 2018.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Plucked to safety: US Embassy pardons Dustin the Turkey for Thanksgiving - November 22, 2017
- Globally-focused Swedish hotel group closing in on €900m deal for Jurys Inns - November 21, 2017
- Ryanair holding recruitment day in Dublin this week as it looks to hire 200 engineers - November 21, 2017
- Almost 85,000 travel between Dublin, Kerry and Donegal in last year – Aer Lingus Regional - November 21, 2017
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: It’s raining A330s as Aer Lingus announces seamless to Seattle - November 19, 2017