- 15 deck Independence to be based in Southampton
- 3.858 capacity
- Features from Symphony of the Seas included after refurb
Independence of the Seas, a veteran of cruise calls to Cóbh, has arrived in Southampton to homeport there for the summer after a multi-million euro makeover.
Royal Caribbean says the family market will be a focus of Independence of the Seas, Innovations include:
Sky Pad, reality bungee trampoline experience, and interactive aqua park, Splashaway Bay.
The first revenue cruise departs May 15th where she will embark on a two-night cruise to France from Southampton. Following her inaugural sailing, Independence of the Seas will call at destinations across Europe and the Mediterranean until November 2018.
Independence spans 15 decks, encompasses 154,407 gross registered tons, carries 3,858 guests at double occupancy and features 1,929 staterooms.
The refurbished ship’s new features, many of which are introduced to the line on board Symphony of the Seas, were showcased to 1,400 invited key trad on a two day- ipre-inaurgual cruise. Features included:
- The Perfect Storm, a duo of racing waterslides called Cyclone and Typhoon.
- Glow-in-the-dark where teams play “Battle for Planet Z”.
- Puzzle Break new escape room experience
- New lounges and Panoramic Oceanview staterooms with wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling views.
- Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade where sports fans can watch live sporting events thanks to Royal’s three-staellite technology
- Izumi Hibachi & Sushi Asian-inspired dining experience with fresh sushi and chefs cooking tableside on teppanyaki grills.
- Fish & Ships poolside eatery.
- Sugar Beach candy shop for sweet teeth.
Ben Bouldin two country manager of Royal Caribbean based in London said “Holiday time is precious, and travellers today have higher expectations and more options than ever before. We don’t just want to meet these expectations, but smash them and redefine how to holiday. From our largest yet hibachi restaurant to a virtual reality bungee trampoline experience, Independence of the Seas is set to be the most spectacular ship sailing out of Southampton this coming season.”
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- TRAVEL Extra Sunday Supplement: Dublin aims for 6m transfer passengers as it sends 223 flights west each week - August 19, 2018
- Clickandgo gives you a run for your money as it’s named official Irish partner of Lanzarote Marathon - August 16, 2018
- Virtuoso awards hotel of the year to Adare Manor - August 16, 2018
- 18m passengers use Dublin Airport in first half of year as July breaks records - August 15, 2018
- Ed Sheeran and Dermot O’Leary to promote tourism to Ireland this autumn - August 14, 2018