- Ireland’s soccer team flew to the Euro 2016 in CityJet’s new Russian manufactured Superjet SSJ100
- First flight in Cityjet colours
- Team will be based in Paris for duration of the championship
Ireland manager, Martin O’ Neill, assistant manager, Roy Keane, 23 squad members and back up team were flown on Tuesday by CityJet, the Official Airline Partner of the Football Association of Ireland, to Le Bourget Airport, most famous because it serves as venue to the Paris Air Show.
CityJet Executive Chairman, Pat Byrne, said: “It has been a privilege to carry the hopes of the nation to Paris and fingers crossed it will be some time before we make the return journey with the team. They have everyone’s best wishes in the championships.”
“We were delighted to have the opportunity to come on board as official airline to the FAI in March and we look forward to working with the FAI as their ongoing partner following Euro16. CityJet is a pan-European airline with services across the continent, ranging from the Nordic regions down to Italy and a major operation in France, so it is wonderful working with the FAI at a time when the world of football focuses on Europe.”
The Superjet SSJ100 is one of three the airline welcomes to its fleet this year and first arrived in Dublin last Thursday. The flight conveying the team to Paris was its first scheduled flight in CityJet colours.
The team will be based in Paris for its opening group fixtures in Paris (June 13 v Sweden), Bordeaux (June 18 v Belgium) and Lille (June 22 v Italy) and longer, should it progress to the round of 16 and further.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair up 8pc in August, set to become Europe’s first 150m pa airline - September 3, 2019
- EL AL to fly Dublin to Tel Aviv 3w year round from May 26 - August 28, 2019
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019