A total of 36 chefs from 20 countries have been working hard to gain a coveted spot in Valencia’s grand finale taking place on 20th September 2021, writes Clodagh Dooley
World Paella Day is a recognition of the most universal plate of Spanish gastronomy. A day in which the Valencians share their great dish with the rest of the world to celebrate the internationality of paella, which typically consists of rice, saffron, vegetables, chicken or seafood.
Additionally, to celebrate the Spanish dish, the World Paella Day Cup is a competition held for those passionate about paella-making. After receiving more than 50,000 online votes worldwide, 10 finalists have been chosen in the World Paella Day Cup 2021, including Irish chef Rob Curley.
The selected chefs will travel to Valencia to experience first-hand the origins of the globally renowned dish and its ingredients. Visiting places such as the Albufera, the Central Market or the Huerta de València, the finalists will gather local intel and inspiration ahead of the final on 20th September 2021.
Entries came from all corners of the world, including Russia, China, the United States, Latin America and Europe all hoping to be in with a chance of participating in the second edition of the World Paella Day Cup. A total of 36 chefs from 20 different countries put their paella culinary skills to the test and the finalists are confirmed as follows:
- Uruguay – Javier Piñeiro
- Argentina – Juan Ignacio Kittlein
- Costa Rica – Vicente Aguilar
- United States – Natalie Curie
- South Korea – Sang-hoon Lee
- China – Binhui Jiang
- Spain – Noelia Pascual
- Belgium – Giansante Sam
- Ireland – Rob Curley
- Czech Republic – Josef Koralic
The winner will receive a handcrafted trophy by a fallero artist. (A Falla or monumento fallero is an artistic monument composed of figures called ninots.) Runners up will receive a personalised jacket in addition to a certificate of their status as a finalist.
You can find more information about the Irish chef Rob Curley here:
For more information on World Paella Day, visit worldpaelladay.org and the contest’s official social networks: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
Latest posts by Clodagh Dooley (see all)
- Royal retreat: A medieval-inspired stay in Dublin - February 3, 2023
- And the winners of the Travel Extra Travel Journalist of the Year Awards 2023 are… - January 30, 2023
- Winners announced at the Irish Travel Industry Awards 2023 - January 30, 2023
- Over 30,000 visitors attend this year’s Holiday World Show Dublin - January 30, 2023
- Member finalists announced for Irish Travel Industry Awards - January 20, 2023