Cork Airport is through to the final round in an online competition to be named as a new route for German airline Eurowings. The final live vote takes place on the Eurowings Facebook page tomorrow, Tuesday, March 13, from 2pm-3pm Irish time.
Cork Airport is urging the public to get behind its bid by visiting www.facebook.com/eurowings during the 60-minute window and casting their vote. The most voted destination will be part of the 2018/19 winter schedule for the Lufthansa subsidiary.
Last year, Shannon Airport also got to the final two stage, but narrowly lost out to Mostar in a frenzy of last-minute voting.
Cork topped the poll following a week-long European-wide public vote which began Tuesday, March 6, and closed on Monday, March 12. Six European hubs competed, with the top three going on to the live final. Cork, the only Irish airport to be shortlisted in the competition, secured 33.3pc of votes. Also in the final are Košice (Slovakia) after receiving 32pc of votes and Friedrichshafen (Germany) with 12pc.
Cork Airport Managing Director Niall MacCarthy said: “We are amazed at the support from the public. Over the past week, people have rallied to ensure Cork Airport made the final three and we are delighted to have topped the poll in round one. However, there is still more work to be done. We are now asking everyone to take part in the live vote, as a win will be a major boost to the region, and to Ireland as a whole. This will provide greater route choice for those flying from Cork Airport while also being of benefit to the economy through inbound tourism.”
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Turkish delight for Dublin Airport as Ryanair launches Dalaman service - June 25, 2018
- TRAVEL Extra Sunday Supplement: Norwegian targets Toronto as it expands Irish Atlantic operation, June 24 - June 24, 2018
- ITAA joins Ryanair and IAG in condemning latest round of air traffic strikes - June 22, 2018
- Niall Burgess: Irish passport renewals for children to be online before end of the year - June 21, 2018
- Norwegian to fly Dublin Airport to Toronto Hamilton daily from next March - June 21, 2018