- Going alcohol-free from Friday, October 12:
- 11:25hrs Heuston to Galway
- 13:25hrs Heuston to Galway
- 15:35hrs Heuston to Galway
- 14:45hrs Heuston to Westport
Alcoholic drink will be banned on more train services from Dublin to Galway and Westport after Iarnród Éireann said it has received “persistent complaints from customers about regular instances of anti-social behaviour connected to excessive alcohol consumption onboard”.
The alcohol ban will come into effect on October 12, and customers boarding these services in possession of alcohol will have it confiscated and no alcoholic beverages will be sold by catering staff on the trains.
Details of the alcohol ban will be clearly displayed at stations and customers booking online will be notified during the reservation process.
These services are in addition to the following services that have been alcohol free for some time:
- 13:00hrs Galway Heuston on Sundays
- 13:15hrs Heuston Waterford on Fridays
- 15:10hrs Heuston Waterford on Fridays
- 12:40hrs Waterford Heuston on Sundays
- 15:10hrs Waterford Heuston on Sundays
- 18:05hrs Waterford Heuston on Sundays
An Iarnród Éireann spokesperson said: “The vast majority of customers who wish to enjoy an alcoholic beverage onboard our services do so without impacting in anyway on their fellow passengers, but unfortunately there is a minority that do over indulge, particularly those travelling in large groups, who can disrupt others in a negative way. There have been high volumes of complaints of such behaviour on these services so we have taken the decision to ban all alcohol from them.”
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair up 8pc in August, set to become Europe’s first 150m pa airline - September 3, 2019
- EL AL to fly Dublin to Tel Aviv 3w year round from May 26 - August 28, 2019
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019