- Visits to Germany up 7.pc
- Ireland’s event most importune outbound market
Visits from Ireland to Germany rose 7.6pc in 2018 to 234,381 arrivals and 536,733 overnights. German visitor overnights overall rose 5pc .The federal states of Bavaria, Berlin, Baden-Wurttemberg, North-Rhine Westphalia and Hesse were most popular. Bavaria saw the highest increase for visitors from Ireland.
During 2019, the German National Tourist Board will be celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Bauhaus, the visionary arts, design and architecture movement which started in Weimar in 1919, the influence of which can still be seen around the world to this day.
The German National Tourist Board recently launched its ‘German Summer Cities’ campaign to promote the appeal of Germany as a summer destination – from its picture-book lakes and mountains, to long, sandy coastlines or the inspiring activities and summer events to be found in Germany’s cities.
Beatrix Haun, director of the GNTO London office covering Ireland and Bbritain (pictured) commented: “Ireland is a very special source markets for Germany, with many mutual cultural and lifestyle associations. The increase seen in 2018’s year end figures demonstrates the on-going appeal of Germany as a year-round destination and we hope our campaigns for 2019 will prove equally popular. We arre looking forward to welcoming even more visitors from Ireland and the UK to Germany in future”.
Germany is Ireland’s seventh most important outbound market after Spain, England, France, Usa, Italy and Portugal.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair up 8pc in August, set to become Europe’s first 150m pa airline - September 3, 2019
- EL AL to fly Dublin to Tel Aviv 3w year round from May 26 - August 28, 2019
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019