The first of a series of Tourism & Hospitality Careers Roadshow events hosted 250 second level students from schools across the south west at the INEC in Killarney, where they learned of job opportunities available in the tourism and hospitality industry.
Organised by the Irish Hotels Federation in association with the Irish Hospitality Institute, IT Tralee, Cork IT and Regional Skills, the initiative is part of the industry-led careers programme launched last year for 15 to 18-year-olds.
The roadshow was the first in a series of events planned for across the country over the coming months. It was run in close collaboration with local tourism and hospitality businesses, many of whom were present to give the students a personal insight into training and working in the sector. Students and guidance counsellors received copies of Get a Life in Tourism, the IHF’s free digital and print magazine on tourism career options.
They were also introduced to “Tourism Insight” – the new online interactive free programme, which provides videos and interactive tutorials on working in tourism which can be delivered as part of class in school or for students to complete in.
The students took the mannequin challenge as they learned about careers in the travel industry.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Tourism Ireland CEO Niall Gibbons origin of icons going green for St Patrick’s Day - February 20, 2020
- WATCH: Update on Tourism Ireland from CEO Niall Gibbons - February 20, 2020
- WATCH: tourism minister Brendan Griffin - February 20, 2020
- WATCH Visit Derry roadshow @Fitzwilliam Hotel - February 20, 2020
- WATCH Amadeus host the trade@Peploe’s - February 20, 2020