- Cork in second place in public vote
- Shannon’s on previously beaten by Mostar
Cork Airport has fallen at the final hurdle in its bid to secure a Eurowings route in a public vote. A rush of voting for rival Kosice gave the Slovakian city the win, despite 10,500 people voting for the Irish airport live on Facebook.
Speaking on the earlier round of the competition, which got the Leeside airport into the final, Cork Airport Managing Director Niall MacCarthy said: “We are amazed at the support from the public. Over the past week, people have rallied to ensure Cork Airport made the final three and we are delighted to have topped the poll in round one.”
Cork Airport said it will continue to engage with the Lufthansa subsidiary to get a new route between Ireland and Germany.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Margaret Kilduff August finalist in Blue Insurance car competition - September 20, 2018
- CCPC clear €70m Blue Insurances deal - September 19, 2018
- Dublin Airport Update - September 19, 2018
- Travel quote of the day from an Irish writer - September 19, 2018
- Travel quote of the day from an Irish writer - September 18, 2018