A report on tourist accommodation to Dublin carried by Fitzpatrick Associates on behalf of Fáilte Ireland (see here) estimated the contribution to bedstock from Airbnb was equivalent to approximately 780 hotel bedrooms available year-round. Dublin had 148 hotels in 2015, 18,531 bedrooms and 41,816 bedspaces and Fitzpatrick predict a shortfall of 1,700 bedrooms in 2016 and 2,800 in 2017. There are currently plans for just 5,550 new hotel rooms, 3,796 rooms in new hotels and 1,749 in extensions to existing hotels, many of which will not be available until after 2018.
Dublin has seen average hotel prices rise 23pc since June 2015, according to the monthly index from Trivago. The room rate on Trivago’s price index is €183, lifting it to one of the 10 most expensive cities in Europe with prices on the level of European cities such as Milan and Stockholm. Killarney prices are up 20pc, and, from a smaller volume, Athlone prices are up 24pc and Donegal up 23pc.. Trivago lists 32 hotels in Athlone and 38 in Donegal compared with 193 in Killarney and 404 in Dublin. Picture shows Denise Bartlett of Trivago.
- The EU commission is close to approving the Marriott/Starwood merger.
- Holiday home rental group Owners Direct introduced a controversial 4pc to 8pc service fee for customers.
- A judge awarded €18,000 for boy who lacerated his arm on a pull out bed in the Castleknock Hotel & Country Club.
- Spain’s Riu Hotel Group, Goldman Sachs and private equity firms Apollo and Cerberus are among the bidders for Gresham Hotel with final offers of up to €85m.
- Starwood Preferred Guest partnered with Club ITC allowing members will be able to redeem their points for nights across 1,300 Starwood properties.
- Accorhotels are to open the 39-storey Novotel London Canary Wharf in 127-metre-high tower.
- The hotel group behind Gleneagles is to launch NoCo, a £100 a night budget chain.
- Hotels.com integrated Uber into its mobile app.
- Marriott announced a brand endorsement of Protea Hotels in Africa
- Hotelnewsnow reported that hotel companies suffered seven major data breaches in 2015.
- Hilton at Resorts World Bimini finished its phase two opening.
- Rathnayaka Mudiyanselage Punchi Banda celerbated 50 years as doorman at Galle Face Hotel having greeted Indira Gandhi, Marshal Tito, Fidel Castro, and Yuri Gagarin.
- Sheraton London Park Lane Hotel is searching for a dalmation mascot to celebrate it’s Green Park location and ties to 101 Dalmatians.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019
- The fight against Flight Shame: Europe’s airlines campaign for Single European Sky has become an environmental issue - July 10, 2019
- Ryanair monthly figures close in on 15m, rolling annual now 146.5m - July 2, 2019