- Seeking €2.5m rural development grant
- Proposed airport is 110km from Dublin
Midlands Airport Developments, headed up by a Tullamore-based architect Patrick Little, have told Offaly County Council that 2,000 jobs could be created if an airport was constructed at Tubber, Co Offaly, 18km from Tullamore, 22km from Athlone and almost at the centre of the island.
Approval has already been given for a planning application to An Bord Pleanala. Little is seeking a €2.5m grant from the Rural Regeneration and Development Fund to develop the facility as an alternative to Dublin airport.
If granted the money will be used for preliminary work on environmental studies around the site. Council director of services Tom Shanahan said any matching funding required will be coming from the project developers.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Brittany Ferries deploys extra MV Connemara rotations for Cork-Roscoff Pont Aven bookings - May 29, 2019
- Ryanair April figures up 10pc to record 13.5, rolling annual now 142.3m - May 2, 2019
- Visitors from Britain in March down 5.49p on pre Brexit levels - April 25, 2019
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: Norwegian drop Cork and Shannon trans-Atlantic amid B737 Max meltdown - April 21, 2019
- Limerick positions itself as a gateway to Wild Atlantic Way as it pushes for 1.1m visitors - April 16, 2019