- Seeking €2.5m rural development grant
- Proposed airport is 110km from Dublin
Midlands Airport Developments, headed up by a Tullamore-based architect Patrick Little, have told Offaly County Council that 2,000 jobs could be created if an airport was constructed at Tubber, Co Offaly, 18km from Tullamore, 22km from Athlone and almost at the centre of the island.
Approval has already been given for a planning application to An Bord Pleanala. Little is seeking a €2.5m grant from the Rural Regeneration and Development Fund to develop the facility as an alternative to Dublin airport.
If granted the money will be used for preliminary work on environmental studies around the site. Council director of services Tom Shanahan said any matching funding required will be coming from the project developers.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Limerick positions itself as a gateway to Wild Atlantic Way as it pushes for 1.1m visitors - April 16, 2019
- Celtic Tigers: Irish team wins inaugural Stena Line Masters tournament - April 16, 2019
- Doolin named a ‘destination of excellence’ under Fáilte Ireland accreditation system - April 15, 2019
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: Trump triggers more turbulence for Ryanair and other Boeing customers - April 14, 2019
- Shannon Heritage to further develop historic Newbridge House as tourist attraction - April 13, 2019