- Seeking €2.5m rural development grant
- Proposed airport is 110km from Dublin
Midlands Airport Developments, headed up by a Tullamore-based architect Patrick Little, have told Offaly County Council that 2,000 jobs could be created if an airport was constructed at Tubber, Co Offaly, 18km from Tullamore, 22km from Athlone and almost at the centre of the island.
Approval has already been given for a planning application to An Bord Pleanala. Little is seeking a €2.5m grant from the Rural Regeneration and Development Fund to develop the facility as an alternative to Dublin airport.
If granted the money will be used for preliminary work on environmental studies around the site. Council director of services Tom Shanahan said any matching funding required will be coming from the project developers.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Club Travel to take over Atlas Travel - December 3, 2019
- Ryanair passengers up 6pc to record 11m in November - December 3, 2019
- WATCH: Highlights from 2019 ITAA Conference in Cordoba - October 19, 2019
- Newcomer Aimsir in Kildare wins two Michelin Stars - October 7, 2019
- Ryanair annual passenger numbers pass 150m for first time - October 2, 2019