- Seeking €2.5m rural development grant
- Proposed airport is 110km from Dublin
Midlands Airport Developments, headed up by a Tullamore-based architect Patrick Little, have told Offaly County Council that 2,000 jobs could be created if an airport was constructed at Tubber, Co Offaly, 18km from Tullamore, 22km from Athlone and almost at the centre of the island.
Approval has already been given for a planning application to An Bord Pleanala. Little is seeking a €2.5m grant from the Rural Regeneration and Development Fund to develop the facility as an alternative to Dublin airport.
If granted the money will be used for preliminary work on environmental studies around the site. Council director of services Tom Shanahan said any matching funding required will be coming from the project developers.
Latest posts by TravelExtra (see all)
- TRAVEL Extra Remains Open for Business - April 26, 2020
- Irish Travel Agents Association announce upcoming events for Autumn 2020 - April 21, 2020
- Updated return to cruise dates - April 17, 2020
- Future of Aviation - April 15, 2020
- Travel Extra May 2020: Surviving the crisis - April 8, 2020