- Seeking €2.5m rural development grant
- Proposed airport is 110km from Dublin
Midlands Airport Developments, headed up by a Tullamore-based architect Patrick Little, have told Offaly County Council that 2,000 jobs could be created if an airport was constructed at Tubber, Co Offaly, 18km from Tullamore, 22km from Athlone and almost at the centre of the island.
Approval has already been given for a planning application to An Bord Pleanala. Little is seeking a €2.5m grant from the Rural Regeneration and Development Fund to develop the facility as an alternative to Dublin airport.
If granted the money will be used for preliminary work on environmental studies around the site. Council director of services Tom Shanahan said any matching funding required will be coming from the project developers.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019
- The fight against Flight Shame: Europe’s airlines campaign for Single European Sky has become an environmental issue - July 10, 2019
- Ryanair monthly figures close in on 15m, rolling annual now 146.5m - July 2, 2019