Kata Rocks in Phuket was pronounced a poser’s paradise in the English Daily Mail, the $100m Thailand hotel which rich kids are queuing up to visit.
- Prem Group bought the four-star Tulferris Hotel and Golf Resort near Blessington for €8m.
- An ABC news study of 15 US hotels found 11 failed to sanitise the water glasses before new guests arrived.
- Gleneagle Group are to manage Sheen Falls Country Club’s 26 self catering units in Kenmare aimed at the luxury market. Read here.
- STR research suggested hotel occupancy recovers three months after a militant attack, AND RevPAR not affected as badly as occupancy. Read here
- James Moore of the Save Joycean Dublin Committee raised objections to Monteco’s plans for a 121-bedroom hotel at the site of the Ormond Hotel.
- The Westin Dublin marked the launch of its Mad Hatter’s afternoon tea by commissioning a headpiece by milliner Laura Kinsella, which is on display in the foyer.
- STR Global says Greater London has 5,456 rooms in 33 hotels under construction, the highest in Europe, followed by Istanbul (4,203 rooms in 24 hotels); Moscow (3,487 rooms in 14 hotels); and Greater Berlin (2,123 rooms in six hotels). STR says Europe reported a 3.5pc increase in occupancy to 71.4pc in April compared with April 2015. ADR up 3.8pc to €109.54 and RevPAR up 7.4pc to €78.20.
- PwC says occupancy levels at US hotels have begun to stabilise after reaching peak levels in 2015 in its report Hospitality Directions.
- Iberostar Hotels are to open two new hotels as part of the groups US expansion: a 4-star boutique hotel with 205 rooms spread across 16 floors opens June 15 on 70 Park Avenue in the heart of Manhattan. A second hotel will follow in Miami.
- A Hyatt affiliate has entered into a franchise agreement with InTown Hospitality GmbH for a Hyatt House hotel in Düsseldorf, Germany to open January 2017
- AC Hotels by Marriott has opened its first two hotels in England in Birmingham Centre and Manchester Salford Quays.
- Bulgari signed an agreement with Russian investor Alexey Bogachev to open in Moscow in 2019
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton have opened the Atlanta Perimeter Dunwoody Hotel
- Wayne Neilon is the new GM of Maldron Hotel Limerick in a move Dalata/Maldron say reflects a focus on the hotel’s F&B product. The Meath native graduated in professional cookery from Athlone IT, worked in McCloskey’s Restaurant, St. Andrew’s Golf Hotel and as Head Chef in Freddy’s Bistro. In 2005 he began kitchen consultancy for the proprietor of the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel to develop their food business and served as GM from 2007 until 2011, completing an Executive Management Development Programme through Cornell University in 2009 which was facilitated by Failte Ireland. From 2012 to 2015, Wayne managed a number of properties for Pillo Hotels who were acquired by Dalata Hotel Group in February 2014. Wayne returns to Limerick following a stint in Galway as Deputy GM of The Connacht Hotel. Other moves: Jodie Ambrose has a new role with Clayton Cardiff Lane and Susan Whelan is the new Sales and Marketing Manager at the Radisson Hotel in Limerick.
The following two tabs change content below.
Ireland's premier source of travel information
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Limerick positions itself as a gateway to Wild Atlantic Way as it pushes for 1.1m visitors - April 16, 2019
- Celtic Tigers: Irish team wins inaugural Stena Line Masters tournament - April 16, 2019
- Doolin named a ‘destination of excellence’ under Fáilte Ireland accreditation system - April 15, 2019
- TRAVEL Extra’s Sunday Supplement: Trump triggers more turbulence for Ryanair and other Boeing customers - April 14, 2019
- Shannon Heritage to further develop historic Newbridge House as tourist attraction - April 13, 2019