- Ryanair to serve Stansted instead of Gatwick from Belfast International
- Malta their new route for summer 2018
Ryanair announced a Malta 2w service for summer 2018 among 14 routes it plans to operate from Belfast International Airport.
The Belfast to London service will operate to Stansted rather than Gatwick at a lower capacity and will be reinstated a month earlier than planned, on March 1st. Easyjet will contune to fly Belfast to Gatwick.
The new routes will include Lanzarote 2w, Malaga 5w, Milan 2w and Tenerife 2w. The summer schedule will be operated by two based aircraft.
Ryanair had obtained its Gatwick slots from IAG, in fact from Aer Lingus which closed its Belfast City-Gatwick route to get approval for the takeover by IAG. Earlier this year, Ulster Unionist MEP Jim Nicholson raised questions about Ryanair suspending the service.
He has since been told by the European Commission, who approved the IAG takeover, that Ryanair decided to surrender the slots. This decision puts in perspective Ryanair’s appetite for Gatwick slots from Monarch.
EasyJet reacted to Ryanair’s intervention on Belfast-Gatwick where it was and is the major carrier with a price/capacity much as Ryanair has defended itself against easyJet elsewhere.
Recent customer announcements include a new Ryanair Rooms website, Ryanair concert tickets, Apple Pay integration, long haul Air Europa flights on sale on Ryanair.com and a new partnership with the Erasmus Student Network.
See official press release here.
Latest posts by TravelExtra (see all)
- Should Ireland join Schengen? These are the 38 points in the ITIC plan for Irish tourism. - September 19, 2023
- ‘Irish tourism is not expected to recover to pre pandemic levels until 2026, behind other sectors’ - September 19, 2023
- Club Travel profits ahead, sales behind 2019 - September 17, 2023
- Man arrested after stabbing incident outside Terminal 1 in Dublin Airport - September 17, 2023
- ‘Pre-pandemic the split was 44/56 in favour of the visitors, now it is 67/33 in favour of home holidays.’ - September 17, 2023