- Shannon Airport wins Airport of the Year prize following wins in 2014 and 2015.
- Scottish regional airline Loganair wins Gold Award “for rebuilding its commercial infrastructure since its franchise agreement with Flybe ended in 2017 and for serving its community in remote areas of Scotland in tough and challenging conditions”.
- Canary Islands-based airline Binter wins Silver and British-based Airways takes the Bronze Award.
Shannon Airport has been named Airport of the Year Award by the European Regions Airline Association (ERA). The airport also won the title in 2014 and 2015.
The award was announced at the ERA’s annual General Assembly in Edinburgh. The association said the award recognises airports “which have had a positive impact on intra-European air transport operations and which recognise the importance of airline-airport partnerships”. Previous winners of the award include London City (2017), Budapest and Munich Airports. The Airline of the Year award was won by CityJet in 2016.
ERA has 50 member airlines including Flybe, Binter Canarias, Croatia Airlines, Hop! and Stobart Air
ERA Director General Montserrat Barriga said: “Shannon Airport has successfully managed a complete renewal of the airport’s runway. To do this, Shannon Airport achieved €15m of external investment and managed to keep the airport open throughout the project. Remarkably, the project was finished six weeks ahead of schedule and also under budget.”
Andrew Murphy, Managing Director, Shannon Airport said: “Our runway upgrade project, which was self-funded with the assistance of a commercial loan from ISIF, The Ireland Strategic Investment Fund, was completed last year ahead of time and under budget. It is part of an overall €40m investment programme on a range of customer-focused projects. We reinvented our Shannon Duty-Free shop, the world’s first Duty Free. We added new dining facilities and upgraded our boarding gate area, transit, and executive lounges.”
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Offaly Council told of proposed airport in the exact middle of Ireland - October 16, 2018
- Ryanair moves ground ops to Omniserv from Swissport at Stansted - October 16, 2018
- Travel quote of the day from an Irish writer - October 16, 2018
- ‘Never intended to be anything more than a humorous insight’ – Photographer decries ‘Aer Lingus put X factor finalists in economy class’ story - October 16, 2018
- Destination of the day: Izmir - October 16, 2018