- New service is daily from April 29-October 25, 2019
- WestJet using Boeing 737-MAX on route
- Route to St John, which launched in June 2014, is dropped
Canadian carrier WestJet has dropped its four-year-old service from Dublin to St John, Newfoundland, and is replacing it with a seasonal daily service to Halifax in Nova Scotia.
The DAA said that the decision will increase WestJet’s capacity from Atlantic Canada to Ireland by 27pc, as the new service will use the Boeing 737-MAX.
The move has been met with dismay by St John. A spokesperson for the airport told Canadian media: “We are very disappointed with this decision, but with continue to work with WestJet to grow their services from our airport.”
The St John ‘s International Airport Authority said the Dublin launch in 2013 was the “most successful launch of a new route in WestJet’s history”, however the airline said the route has not been performing as well as hoped in recent times.
- New route timings:
Halifax – Dublin
April 29, 2019
Dublin – Halifax
April 30, 2019
Regarding the new route, Tim Croyle, WestJet Executive Vice-President Commercial, said: “WestJet continues to invest in Halifax with the addition of flights to Dublin on our efficient and guest-friendly Boeing 737-MAX this summer.
“We are proud to be the carrier with the most transatlantic flights from YHZ to destinations like Dublin, Paris, London and Glasgow while being a strong driver of economic and employment growth in the region.”
WestJet’s Boeing 737-MAX aircraft features the airline’s Premium and Economy cabins, WestJet Connect and the Boeing Sky Interior. Flights are timed to optimise connectivity to and from flights from central Canada and the Atlantic provinces.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- EgyptAir announce Dublin-Cairo 4w year-round with A320 from June 5 - January 13, 2020
- Aer Lingus passenger numbers up 2.4pc to 11.6m in 2019 - January 10, 2020
- Irish travel industry honours 132 suppliers in shortlist for 2020 awards - January 10, 2020
- Willie Walsh will retire as CEO of IAG on June 30 - January 9, 2020
- Travel Solutions appoints Philip Pentland Head of Commercial. - January 6, 2020