- Dublin Chamber is Ireland’s largest Chamber of Commerce in Ireland, with more than 1,300 members employing 300,000 people nationally.
- Organisation will lead a mission to London in the autumn and will work with the Chambers Ireland upcoming mission to Brussels.
Tourism Ireland CEO Niall Gibbons said the Metro linking Dublin Airport to the city centre and suburbs is vital for the expanding capital.
He was making his inaugural speech as President of the Dublin Chamber business association at an event in the city attended by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, and ambassadors Robin Barnett from Britain and Brad Borgess from New Zealand.
Mr Gibbons said the Chamber and the Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce will lead a joint delegation of business leaders to Washington DC during St. Patrick’s week to show that this island is “open for business and to restate the importance of the Good Friday Agreement as the basis of prosperity.”
He also used his speech at the Chamber dinner to call on Government to get the MetroLink rail system for Dublin moving.
He said: “We cannot afford for the MetroLink project to be delayed. The time is now for our decision makers to take an ambitious leap in terms of the transport infrastructure needed to take our capital city to the next level.
“Metrolink is efficient, environmentally friendly and the best move toward city sustainability that we can make for Dublin.”
Niall Gibbons heads up the Chamber’s council, which also includes travel faces Mary McKenna of Tour America and Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019
- The fight against Flight Shame: Europe’s airlines campaign for Single European Sky has become an environmental issue - July 10, 2019
- Ryanair monthly figures close in on 15m, rolling annual now 146.5m - July 2, 2019