- Workforce has grown from 364 to 739
- Leaders in aviation seating need new premises
Gary Montgomery said seating specialist Thompson Aero Seating is to move to new purpose-built premises in Portadown.
The move comes as Thompson grew its workforce from 364 to 739 in 2017. Clients include Aer Lingus, Delta Air Lines, China Eastern and Philippine Airlines.
At the moment it has two premises, in Seagoe Industrial Estate and in Banbridge, Co Down, where much of its engineering and development takes place.
The firm’s most high-profile contracts have been for business class seating. Mr Montgomery told the Belfast Telegraph: “We now have our first deal for first-class seats for an airline, which will mean delivering a much more sophisticated product.” The name of the customer is still under wraps.
He said its takeover by Chinese giant Aviation Industry Corporation of China Group two years had been beneficial. “The Chinese owner takes a very long-term view and they’re very supportive of our efforts.”
Latest posts by TravelExtra (see all)
- TRAVEL Extra Remains Open for Business - April 26, 2020
- Irish Travel Agents Association announce upcoming events for Autumn 2020 - April 21, 2020
- Updated return to cruise dates - April 17, 2020
- Future of Aviation - April 15, 2020
- Travel Extra May 2020: Surviving the crisis - April 8, 2020