- Visits up 6pc
- Spend up 10pc
Tourism Ireland exceeded its target by 4.6pc in 2018 to reach a record 11.2m visits, up 6pc on 2017 and more than the anticipated 10.8m. Combined tourism spend was €6.1bn, slightly ahead of the anticipated €6bn.
The Fill your Heart with Ireland campaign will roll out in the coming weeks in Britain, France, Germany and the USA.
At a briefing in the Tourism Ireland offices today, Niall Gibbons said access announcements for 2019 augur well for the continued success of overseas tourism.
Target for 2019 is 11.67m visitors, up 4.5pc, and spend of €6.5bn, up 6pc.
Latest posts by Travel Extra (see all)
- Ryanair up 8pc in August, set to become Europe’s first 150m pa airline - September 3, 2019
- EL AL to fly Dublin to Tel Aviv 3w year round from May 26 - August 28, 2019
- Ryanair growth rate back to 9pc after year of falters with record 14.8m passengers in July - August 6, 2019
- Superbreak and Laterooms ceases trading - August 1, 2019
- Ryanair turns on Boeing as quarterly profits dip by a quarter - July 29, 2019